If your computer fails to start and you suspect that AVG may be causing the issue, take the following steps to disable loading of AVG during the computer startup.
- Download and install AVG Rescue CD on a CD or on a flash drive from the AVG Download Center
Visit the article What is AVG Rescue CD and the AVG Rescue CD Video below for more information and help with this step.
- Launch AVG Rescue CD.
- Select Utilities, and then select File Manager.
- Browse to /mnt/sda1/Windows/System32/drivers
Note: If you have more hard drives in your computer, the Windows folder may be available in /sda2/, /sda3/, etc. instead of /sda1/.
- Scroll down to view files starting with "avg" in their name, such as avgldx86.sys, avgmfx86.sys, avgtdix.sys, etc.
- Select each file starting with "avg", and then press the keys SHIFT+F6 on your keyboard to open the file rename dialogue.
- Change the "sys" part of the name to "old" in the to: line, and then press ENTER to confirm the change. The name of the file will then be e.g. "avgmfx86.old".
- When all AVG files are renamed, remove the AVG Rescue CD CD or USB drive from the computer, and then restart the computer (press CTRL+ALT+DELETE keys simultaneously).
- Once your computer starts, uninstall AVG by following the steps in the article Uninstall AVG.