Download and Installation
How do I install AVG Internet Security or AVG AntiVirus FREE?
- Download the setup file using the direct link below:
- Double-click the downloaded setup file avg_mac_security_online.dmg.
- Double-click the Install AVG AntiVirus icon in the dialog that appears.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete installation.
For detailed installation instructions, refer to the article below:
What are the system requirements for AVG AntiVirus?
The minimum system requirements for AVG Internet Security and AVG AntiVirus FREE are:
- Apple macOS 11.x (Big Sur), Apple macOS 10.15.x (Catalina), Apple macOS 10.14.x (Mojave), Apple macOS 10.13.x (High Sierra), Apple macOS 10.12.x (Sierra), Apple Mac OS X 10.11.x (El Capitan), Apple Mac OS 10.10.x (Yosemite).
- Intel based Mac computer with 64-bit processor.
- 512 MB RAM or above (1 GB RAM or higher preferred).
- 750 MB minimum hard disk free space.
- Internet connection to download, activate, and maintain program updates and antivirus database.
- Optimally standard screen resolution no less than 1024 x 768 pixels.
Is a free-trial version of AVG Internet Security available?
Yes. After you install AVG AntiVirus, you have the option to upgrade to AVG Internet Security with the first two months as a free-trial. During the free-trial period, you can use all the features included in AVG Internet Security.
To continue using these premium features after the free trial expires, you need to purchase a paid subscription. For more information about paid subscriptions offered by AVG, visit the AVG Store.
How do I uninstall AVG Internet Security or AVG AntiVirus FREE?
For detailed instructions to uninstall AVG Internet Security and AVG AntiVirus FREE, refer to the following article:
Subscription and Activation
How do I activate a subscription for AVG Internet Security?
If you purchased AVG Internet Security via another AVG application or the AVG Store, your subscription activates automatically on the device you used for purchase. If you purchased AVG Internet Security via an alternative sales channel, or you want to start using your subscription on another device, follow the instructions in the following article to manually activate AVG Internet Security:
How do I activate a subscription for AVG AntiVirus FREE?
It is no longer necessary to register AVG AntiVirus FREE, as your initial free subscription automatically activates after installation.
What should I do if AVG does not accept my purchased subscription?
If you experience issues activating AVG Internet Security, retrieve the activation code from your AVG Account, then try to activate the application again. If activation is unsuccessful, follow these troubleshooting steps:
- Uninstall AVG Internet Security and restart your computer.
- Download and install AVG Internet Security.
- Activate your subscription again.
If following the steps above does not resolve your issue, contact AVG Support.
How can I get a copy of my purchased subscription?
You can always find your current activation codes in the AVG Account registered to the email address provided during purchase. For more information, refer to the following article:
Can I transfer an AVG Internet Security subscription to another computer?
Yes. If you want to start using your AVG Internet Security subscription on an alternative Mac, follow the steps below:
- Uninstall AVG Internet Security from the previous Mac.
- Install AVG Internet Security on the alternative Mac.
- Activate your subscription on the alternative Mac.
Can I use my subscription for AVG Internet Security to activate AVG TuneUp and AVG Secure VPN?
No. An AVG Internet Security subscription is not valid for AVG TuneUp or AVG Secure VPN. You can purchase these products separately via the AVG Store. Alternatively, you can purchase an AVG subscription bundle (such as AVG Ultimate) that is valid for multiple products. For more information about what is included in different AVG subscription bundles, visit the AVG Store.
How do I cancel my subscription?
You can cancel an AVG subscription via your AVG Account. For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
For instructions to create an AVG Account, refer to the following article:
Features and Settings
What features are included in different versions of AVG AntiVirus?
- AVG AntiVirus FREE: includes our intelligent antivirus features that detect viruses, malware, spyware, and other threats in real-time.
- AVG Internet Security (Single-Device): comes with all features included in AVG AntiVirus FREE, and additionally includes Ransomware Protection, Phishing Net, and Fake Website Shield for use on 1 Mac.
- AVG Internet Security (Multi-Device): comes with all features included in AVG AntiVirus FREE, and additionally includes Ransomware Protection, Phishing Net, and Fake Website Shield for use on 10 Devices.
- AVG Ultimate: comes with all features included in AVG Internet Security, and additionally includes AVG Tuneup, AVG Secure VPN, AVG AntiVirus Pro for Android and AVG Cleaner Pro for Android for use on 10 Devices.
For more information about the different subscriptions offered by AVG, visit the AVG Store.
What is File Shield?
File Shield scans programs and files on your hard drive as they are opened, run, modified, and saved. If malware is detected, File Shield prevents the program or file from infecting your Mac.
What is Web Shield?
Web Shield actively scans data that is transferred when you browse the internet to prevent malware from being downloaded and run on your Mac.
What is Email Shield?
Email Shield scans for threats in your incoming and outgoing email messages. Scanning applies only to messages sent or received using mail management software, such as Apple Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird.
What is Quarantine?
Quarantine is an isolated space where you can safely store potentially dangerous files. Files in Quarantine cannot run or access your system and data, so any malicious code contained within a file is unable to harm your computer. Access Quarantine by clicking the Computer tile, then click Open on the Quarantine tile.
For more information about Quarantine, refer to the following article:
What is Fake Website Shield?
Fake Website Shield is a premium feature available in AVG Internet Security. Fake Website Shield secures you against DNS (Domain Name System) hijacking, which is when a malicious program redirects you from an authentic URL to an inauthentic website to acquire sensitive information, such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details.
Every time you enter a URL into the address bar of your browser, this URL is translated to the IP address (Internet Protocol address) of the web server where the web page that you want to access is stored. Fake Website Shield provides an encrypted connection between your web browser and AVG's own DNS server to ensure that the displayed website is the authentic one.
What is Ransomware Protection?
Ransomware Protection is a premium feature available in AVG Internet Security. Ransomware Protection secures your personal photos, documents, and files from being modified, deleted, or encrypted by ransomware attacks. This feature scans for and automatically secures folders which may contain personal data. Additionally, you can specify which applications are allowed to modify the files in your protected folders.
For more information about Ransomware Protection, refer to the following article:
What is Phishing Net?
Phishing Net is a premium feature available in AVG Internet Security. Phishing Net uses our cloud database to catch the newest phishing sites and block spam, scans, and malicious phishing emails.
How can I update Virus definitions?
AVG uses a database of known virus definitions to identify malware and other threats on your Mac, so it is important to ensure virus definitions are regularly updated.
By default, AVG updates virus definitions automatically each day. However, AVG cannot perform the update if you are offline. If virus definitions have not been updated for a long time, your protection status changes to You are not (fully) protected.
To manually check for available updates, click the refresh icon next to Virus definitions in the bottom-right corner of the main screen in AVG Internet Security or AVG AntiVirus FREE.
What is Mac Scan?
Click Scan Mac on the main screen of AVG Internet Security or AVG AntiVirus FREE to perform a comprehensive scan of your Mac. This scan detects malware, spyware, and viruses.
How do I scan my Mac for potential threats?
To perform a comprehensive scan of your Mac, click Scan Mac on the main screen of AVG Internet Security or AVG AntiVirus FREE. This scan detects malware, spyware, and viruses.
If you suspect suspicious activity on your Mac or network, apply a predefined scan. Click the
… icon (three dots) next to Scan Mac and choose a predefined scan from the Scan Options list. The following predefined scans are available:
- Deep Scan: performs an in-depth scan of your system that checks your storage drives and memory for malware.
- File Scan: asks you to select an individual file or folder for scanning.
- Schedule Custom Scan: allows you to schedule predefined scans to run regularly and automatically.
For detailed instructions to scan your Mac for viruses, refer to the following article:
How do I create scan exclusions?
Although it is generally not recommended, it is sometimes useful to exclude certain files, folders, or URLs from scanning if you want to speed up your scans, or avoid false positive detections. For information about creating scan exclusions, refer to the following article:
Can I pause a scan mid-progress?
In the latest versions of AVG Internet Security and AVG AntiVirus FREE, pausing a scan is not possible. You can completely terminate a scan by clicking Stop Scan. However, the next time you run the scan, it will start over.
How can I specify what to do with detected threats?
Any threats detected during a scan are sent to Quarantine by default. After running a scan, you can access Quarantine from the Computer tile on the main AVG screen. Quarantine is an isolated space where potentially dangerous files are safely stored.
What does the status message 'Unable to scan' mean in scan results?
The status message 'Unable to scan' means that the file could not be scanned, possibly due to an encrypted ZIP archive or because the file is currently in use. The status does not mean that the file is malicious, only that it is not available for scanning.
Will my Mac's performance slow down during an AVG scan?
AVG Internet Security and AVG AntiVirus FREE include several pre-defined scans, as well as the option to customize scans. Generally, running a scan does not noticeably affect system performance. However, performance may be affected depending on your system configurations.
Does AVG scan webmail accounts?
If you use a web-based email account, such as Yahoo or Gmail, AVG does not directly scan your emails. However, Web Shield and File Shield actively protect your Mac from malware that could be contained in your email messages.
If you use mail management software, such as Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird, Email Shield scans for threats in your incoming and outgoing email messages.
How do I manage settings?
To access and manage your AVG settings:
- Ensure the AVG window is active, then click AVG AntiVirus or AVG Internet Security in the top-left of your menu bar.
- Select Preferences... from the context menu.
- Select a tab to manage the following settings:
- General: use the tick boxes to specify if you want the AVG AntiVirus or AVG Internet Security icon to appear in your menu bar.
- Shields: configure settings for File Shield, Web Shield, or Email Shield.
- Scanning: use the tick boxes to specify which areas on your Mac are analyzed during a scan.
- Exceptions: specify items you want to exclude from scans.
- Subscription: enter an activation code for AVG Internet Security and view your current subscription details.
- Privacy: specify which data is shared with AVG and with 3rd parties for analytics purposes.
How do I connect AVG Internet Security or AVG AntiVirus FREE with my AVG Account?
AVG Account allows you to easily manage your AVG orders, subscriptions, and products. To connect AVG Internet Security or AVG AntiVirus FREE with an AVG Account:
- Click Log in in the top-right corner of the AVG user interface.
- Click Log in to existing account if you already have an AVG Account. Alternatively, click Create Account to set up a new AVG Account.
- Enter your AVG Account credentials, then click Log In.
When AVG Internet Security or AVG AntiVirus FREE is connected with an AVG Account, the text Connected appears in the top-right corner of the AVG user interface.
How do I resolve my protection status?
If you see the status You are not (fully) protected, check the following:
- Ensure software extensions are enabled: macOS versions 10.13 or higher require you to manually allow AVG software extensions before your AVG product can fully protect your system. For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
- Ensure all features are enabled: If a feature is disabled, click the red (OFF) slider on the relevant feature tile, then enter your system administrator credentials, and click OK to enable the feature again.
- Ensure Virus definitions are updated: Click the refresh icon next to Virus definitions on the main screen to prompt an update.
- AVG AntiVirus 19.x for Mac
- AVG Internet Security 19.x for Mac
- Apple macOS 11.x (Big Sur)
- Apple macOS 10.15.x (Catalina)
- Apple macOS 10.14.x (Mojave)
- Apple macOS 10.13.x (High Sierra)
- Apple macOS 10.12.x (Sierra)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.11.x (El Capitan)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.10.x (Yosemite)