AVG Managed Workplace patch management integrates with Microsoft Windows Server Update Services to provide updates for Microsoft products, but does not address any third-party applications. Beginning with AVG Managed Workplace 2011, scripts developed by Ninite are included in Service Center to handle installing and updating the following products:
- Adobe Flash
- Adobe Flash for Internet Explorer
- Adobe Reader
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Spybot Search and Destroy
The scripts delivered with AVG Managed Workplace 2011 and later use the free version of the Ninite installers. You can also purchase access to Ninite Pro installers on their website. The Ninite Pro installers offer additional functionality:
- Local caching of installers for bandwidth conservation
- Update installers in cache without running installers
- Ability to disable desktop and quick launch shortcuts
- Disable auto-updating where applicable
- Force installation for all users where applicable
Ninite works by having an application stub execute on the target devices which then downloads the latest update of the applications included in the stub, and installs them with the selected options. The free versions included with Managed Workplace have a discrete script for each application, which helps with tracking successes and failures, but you can also download Ninite Pro which can install multiple programs at once. To update the included, free Ninite scripts with Ninite Pro version installers you’ve purchased, follow the procedures below.
Get the Installer
- Get your Ninite One Installer (.exe) from https://ninite.com/one.
- Save the file locally.
Next, you will use this file to either create a new script or update an existing script.
Create a New Script
This procedure uses the example of creating a new script for an installer stub to install and update all applications in Ninite’s runtime category.
- Login to Service Center and browse to Automation - Library.
- Click Add Script
- Enter Ninite Install or Update Runtimes as the name.
- Browse to and select the file “NiniteOne.exe” you downloaded, then click Open.
- Choose Software Distribution as the category.
- Enter a version number. Level Platforms script version numbers use major and minor versions followed by the date, so 1.1.20110420 is the first version of the script, but has been revised once on April 20th, 2011.
- Add Ninite.com as the author.
- Copy and update the description from one of the predefined Ninite scripts, if you want.
- Click Add Parameter.
- Enter Silent Install Parameters as the Label.
- Make sure the type is listed as String.
- Enter the following default value: /silent . /outputformat verbose /select enterapplicationname
You must replace 'enterapplicationname' with the appropriate application name which can be found on the full list of names at http://ninite.com/applist/pro.html . Please use the value found in the /select Name column.
- Click Save.
Update an Existing Script
To update an existing script simply change the application names after the /select switch or add other switches listed at https://ninite.com/help/features/switches.html
to configure Ninite to run as you'd like.
Using Parameters with Tasks
For a list of all the parameters you can use with the tasks see the Ninite Help page
on this topic.