Managing Groups (AVG Business Management Consoles)
Groups are a convenient tool to help you manage your devices. If you have multiple devices that you want to apply the same settings to, you can create a group of those devices and give it a name. Then you can apply policies to the group instead of to each device individually, which will save you time. Groups appear in the Groups panel to the left of the device list within the standalone Cloud Console or On-Premise Console. For more information about assigning settings to a group,see Assigning Policies.
To view or create a group, go to the Devices page and look at the Groups panel. If the Groups panel is not expanded, click the double-arrow icon to expand the panel.
Default Device Group
A default group is provided for you. This is the parent group and, although you can rename it, you cannot delete it. All new devices are placed in the default group when you add them to your network, unless you specifically add the device from within another group you have created. As soon as a device is added to a group, it assumes the protection of the policy for that group. You can change the name of the default group and the policy that applies to it by selecting the configuration icon next to the group name.
If you want to set up a device group hierarchy, you can create a device group as a subset of another group. This can help you mirror a detailed device organizational structure and apply program settings at a granular level.
Adding a Group or Sub-group
- On the Devices page, do one of the following:
- To create a new group, click Add group at the top of the panel
- To create a sub-group, click the More button beside the group you would like to be the parent group, then click Add sub-group
- Sub-groups inherit the properties of their parent groups by default, but you can edit the group at any time.
- Type a group name
- Choose a parent group
- Select a policy or settings template option in the Group settings list
- To update devices in the group from Avast servers, even if the policy or settings template gets virus definitions and program updates from local update servers, select the Always update from Avast servers check box
- Click Add group
Editing a Group
- On the Devices page, click the More button next to a group, then click Edit group.
- Make your changes.
- Click Save group.
Deleting a Group
Any devices in the group need to be removed from it before the group can be deleted.
- On the Devices page, click the More button next to a group, then click Delete group.
- When asked to confirm, click Delete.