What is Simplified Deployment?
With AVG Managed Workplace 9.1 Simplified Deployment has been introduced with the intention of removing the need for configuring Group Policies which were previously required for AVG Managed Workplace to fully monitor environments. The domain configuration guide is still available on the partner portal.
The Onsite Manager requires the 3 following key items for simplified deployment:
- Onsite Manager must be able to ping the device.
- It must be able to access the admin share to transfer the scripts used for configuration. If file and printer sharing is disabled in the OS or Firewall this will not work.
- It must have valid credentials configured for the Device that grant administrative access to make the necessary configuration changes.
In order to achieve this, the Windows Prep Utility (Formerly the Workgroup Prep Utility) has been updated in order to add more flexibility. When the Windows Prep Utility is run on a device, it will perform the following:
- The utility will create local MWService account when run on a Workgroup machine. If the utility is run on a domain computer, it will not create a local MWService account.
- The Windows firewall, if enabled, will be configured to allow access to the required ports for Onsite Manager to fully monitor the device. These ports are described in the Setup Guide.
- Remote Desktop will be enabled.
- WMI access using DCOM will be enabled.
- The utility will also configure the Windows Management Framework to allow WMI access using the newer WSMan protocol. The device must have the Windows Management Framework version 2.0 or newer.
- If no Management Framework version is found, or an unsupported version of the Management Framework, the latest Framework version for the target operating system will be installed. The Windows Management Framework installation requires a reboot, however a reboot will not be forced upon installation, and instead will be allowed to finalize upon the next system reboot.
How does the Simplified Deployment work?
If Onsite Manager cannot access WMI on a device after 2 consecutive attempts or if it cannot access Remote Desktop after 1 failure, the Onsite Manager will attempt to run the Windows Prep Utility silently against the device. This deployment will be performed remotely against the target device using PAExec. A maximum of 5 simultaneous instances can run at any time.
- If the Windows Prep Utility has been run but the device is still not WMI enabled, the Onsite Manager will attempt to re-run the Windows Prep Utility once a day until the issue is resolved.
- If the Windows Prep Utility fails to run altogether, the Onsite Manager will try up to 3 additional times to resolve the issue.
When the Windows Prep Utility is run against a device, the Onsite Manager will collect the logs and store them in the following default location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Level Platforms\Onsite Manager\Logs\SitePrep
In addition to this new functionality, the Onboarding Overview page will only report WMI issues on a device after 3 consecutive failed attempts to access WMI, or 2 consecutive failed attempts to query Remote Desktop.
How Can I disable Simplified Deployment?
Simplified Deployment can be disabled for a site by performing the following steps:
- Navigate to the Status > Onboarding Overview > page
- Select the Site name you which to manage
- Click the More Actions button
- Select Modify Advanced Settings
- Uncheck the box labelled Automatically resolve onboarding issues related to Windows devices
Simplified Deployment can be disabled for a device by performing the following steps on the Onsite Manager:
- Log into the Onsite Manager.
- Open the following file in Notepad as Administrator:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Level Platforms\Onsite Manager\Bin\MWExpertSystem.exe.config
NOTE: It is recommended you create a backup before making modifications.
- Locate the following section provided as an example:
- Add the IP Address you wish to exclude (Example: 192.168.1.124):
- Save the file and restart the MWExpertSystem service.
We value your feedback, please help us to improve this article by voting below.