- AVG AntiTrack 2.x for Windows
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit
AVG AntiTrack is an advanced privacy application designed to keep your identity safe from the latest online tracking techniques.
Download and installation
How do I install AVG AntiTrack?
- Download and run the AVG AntiTrack setup file.
- When the installation is complete, AVG AntiTrack loads automatically. Click Next to review the Welcome tutorial.
- If you already purchased AVG AntiTrack before installation, type or paste your activation code and click Activate. Otherwise, click Start Free Trial to access AVG AntiTrack features for a limited time period.
AVG AntiTrack is now installed and ready to use. For detailed installation instructions, refer to the article below:
How do I activate my subscription?
After purchasing AVG AntiTrack, you need to activate your subscription using a valid activation code. If you purchased AVG AntiTrack via another AVG application or the AVG Store, your subscription activates automatically on the PC you used for purchase and you do not need to manually activate it. If you purchased AVG AntiTrack via an alternative sales channel, or you want to start using your subscription on another device, manually activate AVG AntiTrack using the instructions below:
- Locate the order confirmation email you received from email@example.com.
- Scroll down to the Activation code section of the email and either copy or write down your activation code.
- Open AVG AntiTrack, then click Next to review the Welcome tutorial.
- When prompted, type or copy your activation code.
Your AVG AntiTrack subscription is now active. For detailed activation instructions, refer to the article below:
Where can I find a copy of my activation code?
After purchasing AVG AntiTrack, you receive a confirmation email with your activation code to the email address provided during purchase. You can also locate your activation code by logging in to your AVG Account registered to the same email address.
For detailed instructions to locate your activation code, refer to the article below:
What should I do if my activation code doesn't work?
If AVG AntiTrack does not accept your activation code:
- Use our webform to re-send your activation code to the email address used for your purchase, then activate the subscription again.
- If activation fails, uninstall AVG AntiTrack and restart your PC.
- Download and install the latest version of AVG AntiTrack.
- Open the AVG AntiTrack user interface and review the welcome tutorial by clicking Next. Enter your activation code when prompted and click Activate.
If these steps do not work, contact AVG Support.
How do I uninstall AVG AntiTrack?
For detailed uninstallation instructions, refer to the article below:
What is AVG AntiTrack?
AVG AntiTrack is a privacy application designed to keep your identity safe from the latest online tracking techniques.
AVG AntiTrack injects fake information into the data that makes up your digital fingerprint. This action changes what information trackers and third parties can see about you. AVG AntiTrack also clears tracking cookies and browser data from your browsers.
What is online tracking and how does it affect me?
Online tracking is the process of gathering information about you through sophisticated analytics embedded on websites. Information gained via online tracking is used to create your unique online profile (or digital fingerprint), which allows advertisers to identify you online. This can affect you in several ways:
- Advertisers may use information about your online behavior to spam you with targeted advertising.
- Certain websites may also show higher prices for products that you have been researching online, such as plane tickets.
- Many of your favorite websites store huge amounts of information about you, which is vulnerable to data breaches. If this data is breached, third parties can access and use your personal data.
How am I leaving tracks online?
Many websites you visit download cookies to your browser or identify you by unique data on your device. This information is used to identify you when you return to the website or any other website participating in the same tracking system.
What is a digital fingerprint?
When you visit a website, you usually provide data related to your device configuration, browser, and online behavior. This is continuously stored and builds as you continue to interact with websites. Almost every website collects user data via the same types of advertising networks, which means that all your online activity is tracked and added to your own unique online profile. As you repeatedly visit your favorite websites, access your online accounts, shop online, and fill various forms, your online profile behaves like a 'digital fingerprint', which you leave everywhere you go on the web.
Your digital fingerprint is not connected to your actual identity, but it can be used to create an accurate profile of you as an individual. Online tracking techniques study your interests, age, religion, medical issues, income, expenses, shopping habits, and other highly personal information. While this helps sellers personalize their ads, it can also represent a violation of your privacy.
AVG AntiTrack continuously changes your digital fingerprint to protect your online identity. To view a log of changes to your digital fingerprint, open the main AVG AntiTrack dashboard, hover your cursor over the graph icon at the bottom of the screen, and click See All Reports. The most recent fingerprint changes are shown under Fingerprint randomization.
What are cookies?
Cookies (or tracks) are files that websites, trackers, and third parties leave on your browser that allow them to view your online activity. Targeted ads, which are ads that appear to match your online activity, are a direct result of cookies on your browser. Cookies may also cause websites to display higher prices for products that you have been researching online, including plane tickets. To prevent targeted ads and to protect your privacy online, it's important to clear your cookies regularly.
What is browser data?
Browser data is information that is often stored in your browser when you interact with websites. Browser data allows anybody else who uses your PC to view your search history, and see which websites you have visited. In addition, browser data allows websites to automatically fill forms and keep you logged in to your accounts after you close a browsing session. Although this can be convenient, it also puts your privacy at risk and may allow third parties to access your private data. AVG AntiTrack makes it easy to clear data. You are always prompted to select which types of data you would like to remove before clearing browser data.
Does AVG AntiTrack block ads?
AVG AntiTrack is not an ad blocker and you will probably still see ads on some of your favorite websites after installing the application. However, AVG AntiTrack prevents trackers from gathering information about your online behavior and stops you from seeing targeted ads (for example, an ad for a product you recently viewed).
How is AVG AntiTrack different from an antivirus or VPN product?
VPN products are designed to hide your location by encrypting your connection. However, when you use VPN alone, trackers can still identify you based on your device, browser, and online behavior. Antivirus products are designed to protect your PC from security threats, such as viruses, trojans, and malware, but will not prevent online tracking. Unlike VPN and antivirus products, AVG AntiTrack is designed to prevent third parties and advertisers from tracking your online activity.
Is there a free trial of AVG AntiTrack available?
Yes. After installing AVG AntiTrack, click Start Free Trial during the tutorial. During your free-trial period, you have access to all features included in AVG AntiTrack. Click Upgrade Now in the top-left corner of the application screen to purchase AVG AntiTrack during the trial period.
How can I discover which websites are attempting to track me?
Open the main AVG AntiTrack dashboard, hover your cursor over the graph icon at the bottom of the screen, then select See All Reports. The following information is available:
- Recent activity: discover the time and date of recent tracking attempts, as well as the websites that attempted to track you.
- Top tracking attempts: check which websites have attempted to track you most frequently since you installed AVG AntiTrack.
Graphs at the top of the screen show fluctuation in blocked tracking attempts over the past week and the past 6 months. Hover your cursor over the red dot above a specific month or day to see the exact number of tracking attempts blocked.
What is my privacy score?
My privacy score is a numerical value that AVG AntiTrack assigns you based on the various settings you enable or disable in the application. The more privacy protection components you have enabled, the higher your score.
How do I enable browser protection?
Allow AVG AntiTrack to protect your privacy online by installing the AVG AntiTrack browser extension on each browser that you use. The first time you launch AVG AntiTrack, it automatically checks for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera browsers, and prompts you to install the extension. If you skip this step, or need to install the extension later, refer to instructions in the article below:
NOTE: The AVG AntiTrack browser extension is only compatible with the following browsers:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Edge
It is not possible to install and enable the AVG AntiTrack browser extension on any other browser.
How can I clear cookies from my browser?
To configure AVG AntiTrack to clear cookies automatically:
- Click the Browser cleanup schedule tile on the AVG AntiTrack dashboard.
- Use the drop-down menu next to your chosen browser to select how often cookies are automatically cleared.
Cookies for the selected browser will now clear automatically as configured.
NOTE: To clear cookies from a selected browser, it is necessary for the browser to be closed. If the browser is open when cookies are scheduled to be cleared, you see a popup advising you to close the selected browser.
How can I remove browser data?
AVG AntiTrack allows you to easily remove browser data from your internet browsers:
- Click the Browser cleanup schedule tile on the main AVG AntiTrack dashboard.
- Click Clear Data next to your chosen browser, or alternatively click Clear All Browser Data Now... to clear data from all installed browsers.
- Tick the boxes next to types of data that you would like to remove, or tick the box next to Select all to remove all types of browser data.
- Click Clear Selected. If prompted, click Yes to allow AVG AntiTrack to close necessary browsers.
The selected browser data is now cleared.
What are Whitelisted websites?
If you want to stop AVG AntiTrack deleting cookies from certain websites, place these websites on your Whitelist.
- Open the main AVG AntiTrack dashboard.
- Click the Whitelisted websites tile, then choose one of the following options:
- Select a website from the Choose From Popular Options drop-down menu. The website instantly appears in your Whitelisted websites.
- If you do not see the website you want to add, enter its URL (for example, www.example.com) into the left text box, then click Add. The website appears in your Whitelisted websites.
To remove a website from your Whitelisted websites, click the trash icon in the website's panel.
How often does AVG AntiTrack change my digital fingerprint?
AVG AntiTrack makes changes to your digital fingerprint on a randomized schedule. To see exactly when changes are made and how many changes are made each day:
- Open the main AVG AntiTrack dashboard.
- Hover your cursor over the graph icon at the bottom of the screen, and click See All Reports.
- Review recent fingerprint changes under Fingerprint randomization.
To remove this history, hover your cursor over the … (three dots) icon next to Fingerprint randomization, select Clear Data, and click Yes to confirm.
What should I do if AVG AntiTrack does not block tracking attempts?
Refer to the article below for detailed troubleshooting steps:
If the issue persists, contact AVG Support.
What should I do if AVG AntiTrack blocks or slows down webpages?
Refer to the article below for detailed troubleshooting steps:
If the issue persists, contact AVG Support.
How do I resolve the error code '-1073741502' when installing AVG AntiTrack?
This error code means that AVG AntiTrack could not successfully install the Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition due to an outdated version of Microsoft Windows operating system.
Refer to the following article on the Microsoft website to install the latest Windows 7 service pack:
Why did I receive the error message 'The activation code could not be found'?
This error message indicates that you have entered an activation code which was not found in our database. Ensure there is not a typo in the entered activation code, or copy your activation code directly from your order confirmation email and paste it into the application. If you continue to see the error message, contact AVG Support.
Why do I see the alert message 'Action required' while inserting an activation code?
This error message indicates that you have entered your activation code in an incorrect format. The proper format consists of 5 segments of 4 characters, divided by hyphens (-). Ensure that there is not a typo in the code, or copy your activation code directly from your order confirmation email and paste it into the program. If you continue to see the error message, contact AVG Support.
Why did I receive the error message 'There was an issue installing SQL Server Compact'?
This error message is caused by a corrupted or outdated Microsoft .NET Framework. You can solve this issue by reinstalling your Microsoft .NET framework. For detailed instructions, refer to the article below:
If you continue to see the error message, contact AVG Support.
What should I do if AVG AntiTrack disappears from my PC after reboot?
This issue may occur if AVG AntiTrack was not installed properly with elevated system privileges, for example, if you ran the setup file from a user account without administrative privileges. To resolve this issue:
Why did I receive an error message telling me that AVG AntiTrack is running?
This error message can appear on Windows PCs when a program was not closed correctly and is running in the background. To resolve this issue:
- Double-click the AVG AntiTrack icon on your desktop to open the application.
- Close AVG AntiTrack by clicking the X icon in the top-right corner of the user interface.
- If the issue is not resolved, restart your PC.