- AVG Internet Security 19.x
- AVG AntiVirus Free 19.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit
While it is generally not recommended, you may want to exclude certain files or websites from scanning to speed up your scans or to avoid false positive detections.
NOTE: Set exceptions only if you know that the files and websites you want to exclude are not infected. If you are unsure about a file, you can scan it in Virus Total, or add the file to Quarantine and submit it to the AVG Threat Labs. For more information about Quarantine, refer to the following article:
Add an Exception
Setting global exceptions excludes individual files, entire folders, and websites from all scans and shields at once. Scans and Shields analyze all file, application, and web activity in real-time.
To define an exception for all scans and shields:
Your selected file, folder, or URL is added to the exceptions list.
- Double-click the AVG icon on your Windows desktop to open the application.
- Select Menu ▸ Settings.
- Ensure the General tab is selected, then click Exceptions ▸ Add Exception.
- Add an exception in one of the following ways:
- Type the file path, folder path, or URL into the text box, then click Add Exception.
- Click Browse, tick the box next to the file or folder you want to add to the exceptions list, then click OK.
View the Exceptions List
After you specify a file, folder, or website to exclude from AVG Antivirus scans and shields, you can view and remove any item from the list individually:
- From the main AVG Antivirus user interface, go to Menu ▸ Settings.
- Ensure the General tab is selected, then click Exceptions.
- Ensure the boxes next to File/Folder and Website are ticked to see all exceptions in the list. The Exceptions list is visible below these filters.
- To delete an item from the list, hover the cursor over the panel for the exception you want to delete, then click the trash icon. The list will update automatically.
The complete Exceptions list is now visible.