If you suspect your PC is infected with malware and all other AntiVirus scans (including Boot-Time Scan) were unable to resolve the issue, you can use Rescue Disk. Rescue Disk enables you to scan your PC when your system is not running. This method significantly increases your chances of detecting and removing malware because the malware is unable to counteract.
Refer to the sections in this article for instructions on how to create and use Rescue Disk.
Create a Rescue Disk
To create a Rescue Disk on a blank USB drive or DVD you need:
- Another malware-free Windows PC with AVG AntiVirus installed. Refer to the relevant article below for installation instructions:
- An empty USB drive with a capacity of 2 GB or higher.
- A blank recordable DVD; PC with DVD-writer; and burning software that can write from ISO file format (such as the built-in Windows Disc Image Burner).
Scan your PC for viruses
When Rescue Disk starts on your PC, you can begin to scan for malware:
- Click the AVGPE Antivirus tile on the main Rescue Disk menu.
- If your PC is connected to the internet, click Update VPS to ensure that Rescue Disk still uses the latest database of known virus definitions.
- Select an option:
Optionally, tick Scan all archives to also scan compressed files (RAR, ZIP, etc).Then click Next to start scanning your PC.
- All hard disks: scans the entire PC.
- Selected folders/disks: scans only specific folders or disks on the PC. Click Next to select the folders or disks to scan.
- When the scan is finished, review the scan report and results screen for any found threats.
Refer to the section below for instructions to repair or delete any infected files.
Repair or delete infected files
After scanning your PC, Rescue Disk notifies you of the results. If any threats are found, you can select Fix automatically or Fix manually.
When your PC restarts, you can remove the USB drive/DVD containing Rescue Disk.
- AVG Premium Security 22.x
- AVG AntiVirus FREE 22.x
- Microsoft Windows 11 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1 with Convenient Rollup Update, 32 / 64-bit