What is AVG AntiVirus for Android?
AVG AntiVirus for Android is a security app that secures mobile devices against unwanted phishing, malware, and spyware, as well as malicious viruses such as Trojans. In addition, the embedded Anti-Theft feature allows you to locate and track your lost or stolen device on a map with our web-based mobile tracking that uses GPS and other triangulation methods.
How does AVG AntiVirus protect my Android device?
AVG AntiVirus protects your Android device from known malware and threats, and monitors data going in and out according to your preferences. We do our best to protect your device against all possible threats, but no solution is 100% effective.
Like all products on the Android market, it is subject to limitations imposed by the operating system version that is running on the device. It cannot protect against exploits targeting specific vulnerabilities in the OS kernel, the network stack and other fundamental parts of the system. However, we take our role in the security industry seriously, and continuously work with Android vendors to develop future solutions to minimize the risk of attacks.
How is AVG AntiVirus for Android different from AVG AntiVirus for desktop computers?
The Scan feature and the Shields included in AVG AntiVirus for Android use different definitions than the ones used in our antivirus software for PCs. The app is customized to run on mobile devices, and so the definitions are specific to malware that attacks mobile platforms. This saves your device from being overloaded by our PC antivirus engine, which includes an enormous amount of malware data that is not relevant to your mobile device.
How much battery does AVG AntiVirus for Android use?
AVG AntiVirus for Android is designed to have minimal impact on battery life. Testing across multiple devices shows that all services by this app generally take up less than 5% of battery consumption (by comparison, the Launcher can take up about 15% and Gmail about 8%). AVG AntiVirus can reach maximally 20% battery usage at the peak of CPU use (about 30-60 seconds).
Download and Installation
What are the system requirements for AVG AntiVirus?
- Google Android 6.0 (Marshmallow, API 23) or later
- Internet connection to download, activate, and maintain app updates
AVG AntiVirus supports both Android phones and tablets. The app is compatible with all ARM Android devices. However, each vendor or manufacturer makes slight changes in their devices, so some features may behave unexpectedly or, in rare cases, not work. Please note that AVG cannot cover all vendor customizations to the OS. However, we gladly accept feedback if you experience any compatibility issues on your Android device.
If you are using a custom ROM, the app may not work as expected. Report any feedback regarding this issue to AVG Support.
- Devices running Google Android 5.1 (Lollipop, API 22) or lower. However, if you are using an older version of AVG AntiVirus on those systems, you can still receive updates to the virus database.
- Symbian, iOS, Microsoft Windows Phone/Mobile, Bada, WebOS, or any mobile operating system other than Android. This app does not work on iPhone or iPad devices.
How do I download and install AVG AntiVirus on Android?
- On your Android device, tap the button below to open the AVG AntiVirus for Android product page in Google Play Store. Go to Google Play Store
- Tap Install to download and install the app. When installation is complete, tap Open to open AVG AntiVirus.
- Select one of the following options:
- Purchase: Tap Upgrade options and select your preferred plan, then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the purchase.
- Use free version: Tap Continue with free ▸ Continue as free to use the free version of the app.
- Activate: If you purchased an AVG AntiVirus subscription before installation, tap Already purchased?. Then, select the relevant option to activate your paid subscription. For detailed activation instructions, refer to the following article:
AVG AntiVirus is now installed and ready to use. For detailed installation instructions, refer to the following article:
Subscription and Activation
What are the benefits of an AVG AntiVirus Pro subscription?
AVG AntiVirus Pro is the paid version of the app. With a paid Pro subscription, you can take advantage of the following premium features:
- Remove ads: Eliminate third-party ads from your AVG AntiVirus experience.
- App Lock: Protect access to your apps with a PIN.
- Anti-Theft: Use additional options that help you protect and locate your lost or stolen device.
- Last known location: Sends a location notification to your AVG Account when the device battery is dying.
- PIN security: Locks your device and sounds an alarm after 8 failed unlock attempts.
- Scam Protection: Scan links before opening in your browser to protect you from phishing scam websites.
- Photo Vault: Secure storage of an unlimited number of photos.
- AVG Direct Support: Receive prioritized responses to your support inquiries.
What features are included in the other paid versions of AVG AntiVirus for Android?
In addition to AVG AntiVirus PRO for Android, we also offer the following paid products:
- AVG Mobile Pro Plus: Includes AVG AntiVirus Pro for Android, and AVG Cleaner Pro for Android (each for use on up to 5 Android devices simultaneously).
- AVG Mobile Ultimate: Comes with all products included in AVG Mobile Pro Plus, and additionally includes either the VPN feature within AVG AntiVirus for Android, or AVG Secure VPN for Android (each for use on up to 5 Android devices simultaneously).
How can I purchase a paid version of AVG AntiVirus?
- Tap Upgrade in the top-right corner of the main app screen.
- Select your preferred product, then tap Upgrade now.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the transaction.
When the transaction completes, your subscription activates automatically on the device used for purchase. Your purchased subscription is valid on all devices that are connected to your Google Account and have AVG AntiVirus installed.
Is my subscription for AVG AntiVirus PRO also valid for other paid AVG apps?
What happens if I upgrade from my current subscription to a different subscription?
When you upgrade from one paid version of AVG AntiVirus to another (for example, from AVG AntiVirus Pro to AVG Mobile Ultimate), Google Play Store automatically calculates how much of your original subscription was unused. To compensate you for the value of this unused subscription, you receive free access to the new paid product for a limited time period. This means that you are not immediately charged when you activate your new paid subscription. The length of your free access period depends on how much of your original subscription was unused. When the free access period ends, your new paid subscription automatically begins and you are charged for your chosen subscription plan (1 year or 1 month). The date of your first payment is displayed during the subscription upgrade.
How can I start using my AVG AntiVirus subscription on another Android device?
When you purchase a paid version of AVG AntiVirus via Google Play Store, your subscription activates automatically on the Android device you use to make the purchase. To start using your subscription on a new Android device:
- Sign in to Google Play Store on the new device, using the same Google Account you used to purchase AVG AntiVirus.
- Download and install the latest version of AVG AntiVirus from Google Play Store.
- After installation, open AVG AntiVirus and tap Get started ▸ Next.
- Tap Already purchased? ▸ Restore from Google Play.
AVG AntiVirus automatically retrieves and activates your subscription from Google Play Store.
How can I cancel a paid AVG AntiVirus subscription?
Uninstalling AVG AntiVirus from your Android device does not cancel your paid subscription, and you will continue to be charged for the subscription until you cancel it. To cancel a subscription, ensure that you are signed into Google Play Store with the Google Account that you used to purchase the subscription, then follow these steps:
- On the Home screen of your device, tap the Google Play Store icon to open the store.
☰Menu (three lines) ▸ My Subscriptions.
- Tap the subscription you want to cancel and select Cancel Subscription.
Google Play Store confirms the subscription is canceled. Your subscription is canceled and will stop at the end of the current billing cycle.
What can I do if AVG AntiVirus does not detect my paid subscription?
In rare cases, AVG AntiVirus does not detect your valid subscription and displays the No subscriptions found message when you try to restore your subscription. For instructions to resolve this issue, refer to the following article:
What is Scan?
The Scan button on the main app screen scans all apps installed on your device and informs you about security risks caused by changes in default Android settings.
AVG AntiVirus automatically scans newly installed apps the first time they are run. If malware is detected, AVG AntiVirus offers to uninstall the app or to delete the file. If an app or file is incorrectly identified as malware, you can report the false-positive detection directly to AVG Threat Labs.
To schedule automatic scans, go to
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ Protection ▸ Scheduled scan. Ensure the slider at the top of the screen is green (On), tap Scan time to set a specific time for the scan to run, and specify Scan days by ticking the box(es) next to the days when you want the scan to automatically run.
What is Boost RAM?
Tap the Boost RAM tile on the main app screen to kill any apps running in the background of your device. This action prevents apps from slowing down your device and draining your battery. When this process completes, the amount of freed space and the number of killed apps is displayed.
What is Clean junk?
When you tap the Clean junk tile on the main app screen, AVG AntiVirus analyzes your device and displays the amount of storage space that is being used by junk files. You can view the specific types of junk files on your device by tapping the Safe clean tile. Untick any items that you do not want to clean, then release space on your device by tapping Clean.
The Clean junk feature cleans three types of files:
- Temporary app files: Temporary data that can be deleted with no impact on app functionality.
- Advertisement cache: Data from folders where ad systems save their resources.
- Used installation files: APK files used by sources other than Google Play.
To free more space, install the AVG Cleaner app directly from the Safe clean results screen.
What is Scan Wi-Fi / Network Inspector?
The Scan Wi-Fi tile on the main app screen scans your network for problems with your router, encryption, Wi-Fi, and connection. When this action is complete, the app advises whether the network you are connected to is safe. Any detected issues are described, along with instructions to resolve the issues. After scanning, the Scan Wi-Fi tile changes to Check speed. You can also access the Scan Wi-Fi feature via
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Network Inspector, or by tapping the Scan button on the main app screen.
What is Check Speed / Wi-Fi Speed?
Once the Wi-Fi network that you are currently connected to has been scanned for problems using Scan Wi-Fi, the Scan Wi-Fi tile becomes Check Speed. When you tap Check speed, the app measures and rates your network's current download and upload speeds. This feature is also accessible via
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Wi-Fi Speed Test.
What is App Insights?
App Insights provides you with usage information about the apps on your device, data consumption details, and allows you to view which permissions are required by each of your installed apps. To access App Insights, go to
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ App Insights.
Select one of the tabs at the top of the screen:
- Usage: Shows an overview of the amount of time you spend using each of your apps.
- Data: Allows AVG AntiVirus to help manage your data consumption and avoid additional charges.
- Privacy: Shows you which apps on your device require the most permissions. Tap any app to review the specific permissions required by the app. For non-system apps, you can tap Uninstall to permanently remove the app from your device. It is not possible to uninstall system apps, but you can tap Stop app to prevent a system app from running in the background and occupying your device memory.
How can AVG AntiVirus help manage my data consumption?
You can configure AVG AntiVirus to monitor your data consumption and help you avoid additional charges by notifying you when you approach the limit. To set up data usage alerts:
- Go to
☰Menu (three lines) ▸ App Insights.
- Select the Data tab.
- Tap Get started.
- Provide the following information:
- What is your data limit?: set your data package size.
- Day of month to reset: select the day when your data is reset every month.
- Based on the information you provide, AVG AntiVirus calculates your Recommended daily limit. Tap Start tracking.
- On the App Insights screen, ensure the Data tab is selected and tap Data Usage alerts.
- Specify when AVG AntiVirus notifies you about data consumption.
AVG AntiVirus now notifies you about data consumption according to your preferences.
What is Clipboard Cleaner?
Clipboard Cleaner clears your clipboard to prevent possible privacy leaks. If you are not interested in using Clipboard Cleaner, you can disable this feature via
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ Notifications & alerts ▸ Realtime protection. Tap the slider next to Clipboard cleaner notification so that it changes to gray (OFF).
What is App Lock?
App Lock is a premium feature available in AVG AntiVirus Pro that protects your sensitive apps with a PIN or pattern. If you are able to unlock your device with a fingerprint, you can also use this option for App Lock. To enable this feature:
- Go to
☰Menu (three lines) ▸ App Lock.
- If you are using App Lock for the first time, tap Set up now.
- If prompted, follow the on-screen instructions to Set a new PIN code and Grant necessary permissions. You can optionally define a swipe pattern or set up fingerprint unlocking.
- Tap Activate App Lock.
- To protect an app, tap the relevant slider so that it changes to green (ON). Locked apps appear under Protected apps. Unlocked apps appear under either Recommended to lock or Unprotected apps.
Once App Lock is enabled, you can modify your App Lock settings by tapping Settings (the gear icon) in the top-right corner of the main App Lock screen. The following options are available:
- Select PIN & pattern to create or change your PIN, set a pattern, or set up fingerprint unlocking.
- Select App Lock timeout to specify when apps are locked.
App Lock is now configured and ready to use. To disable this feature, tap the slider at the top of the main App Lock screen so that it changes to (Off).
What is Anti-Theft?
Anti-Theft protects your private mobile data and helps you retrieve a lost or stolen device by allowing you to control the device remotely via your AVG Account.
Before you can control your device remotely, Anti-Theft must be enabled on your device. It is not possible to enable Anti-Theft without access to your device. For detailed instructions to enable Anti-Theft, refer to the following article:
Once Anti-Theft is enabled, you can modify your Anti-Theft settings via
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Anti-Theft. For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
When you upgrade to a paid version of AVG AntiVirus, you can use the following additional features:
- Last known location: sends a location notification to your AVG Account when the device battery is dying.
- PIN security: locks your device and sounds an alarm after 8 failed unlock attempts.
What is Scam Protection?
Scam Protection is a premium feature that protects you from being exposed to phishing scam websites that might attempt to steal your credit card information, passwords, and other personal information.
When enabled, AVG AntiVirus opens behind the scenes to quickly scan links from outside of your web browser (for example, from an email, SMS, or messaging app). If the link is safe, it opens in your default browser as usual. If the link is dangerous, it displays a pop-up warning so that you can decide to return to safety or continue at your own risk. To enable this feature:
- Go to
☰Menu (three lines) ▸ Scam Protection.
- If you are using Scam Protection for the first time, tap Set up Scam Protection.
- Tap Set default browser to open your device settings.
- Tap Browser app, then select AVG AntiVirus as your default web browser in your Android settings. This requirement is only a system formality so that AVG AntiVirus can scan for threats. Scam Protection is designed to open a link in a third-party web browser after checking it.
The location of default browser app preferences within the Android settings may differ by Android version or device manufacturer. For example, go to Settings ▸ Application ▸ Advanced (if applicable) ▸ Default application ▸ Browser app to set AVG AntiVirus as your default browser.
Scam Protection is now enabled.
What is Photo Vault?
Photo Vault allows you to protect access to your photos with a PIN code. Photos that are moved to Photo Vault are encrypted and hidden. You can access Photo Vault via
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Photo Vault. To add a photo to Photo Vault, tap the + plus icon in the bottom-right corner of the screen and select one of the following options:
- Recover old Vault: This option appears if you uninstalled AVG AntiVirus with photos stored in your Photo Vault, then reinstalled the app. When you select this option, photos from the previous Vault are added automatically to your new Vault.
- Take new photo: Take photos and directly add them to Photo Vault.
- Take a photo with your camera.
- Tap OK to place the photo in the Vault, or tap Retry to take the photo again.
- Import from gallery: Select photos from your existing gallery and add them to Photo Vault.
- Tick the photo(s) that you want to protect.
- Tap Hide now.
To remove photos from Photo Vault, tick the photo(s) you want to remove and tap the relevant icon at the top of the screen:
- Export icon: Exports a photo back to the original location and makes it visible to others.
- Trash icon: Removes a photo from the Vault and from the original location. This action cannot be undone.
If you forget your PIN:
- When you are asked to enter your PIN, tap the
⋮More options (three dots) in the top-right corner and select Reset PIN.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your PIN using your Google Account credentials.
In the free version of AVG AntiVirus, you can protect up to 10 photos. To secure an unlimited number of photos, upgrade to a paid version of AVG AntiVirus.
What is Hack alerts?
Hack alerts monitors all of the accounts connected to your email address and notifies you if there has been a hack or leak.
To check for leaked passwords:
- Go to
☰Menu (three lines) ▸ Hack alerts.
- Click Sign in ▸ Email, enter an email address and password, then click Sign in. Alternatively, if your email address is already connected, click Continue.
- Wait while AVG AntiVirus scans for leaked data involving your email address.
The scan results show any affected online accounts or the message No leaks found.
Once Hack alerts is enabled, you can manually check for leaks any time by clicking
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Hack alerts ▸ Scan for leaks.
Why has the Firewall feature been removed from AVG AntiVirus for Android?
The Firewall feature in AVG AntiVirus for Android depended on access to several system features that required root privileges. Due to low usage of the Firewall feature, and the risks associated with using a rooted device, we have removed Firewall from AVG AntiVirus for Android version 6.27 and higher.
AVG does not recommend rooting. A rooted device is generally not as secure and users who choose to root their device are exposed to higher risks.
Rooting is a process that allows Android users to attain privileged control of their device (known as root access) within the Android system. Rooting allows the user to override limitations set by carriers and hardware manufacturers. This makes it possible to alter or replace system applications and settings, and run specialized apps that require administrator-level permissions.
What is Call Blocker?
Call Blocker enables you to block calls from the following numbers or contacts:
- All unknown numbers.
- All hidden numbers.
- A chosen contact from your contacts list.
- A chosen number that you have entered manually into the app.
To access Call Blocker, go to
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Call Blocker. When a call is blocked, the caller is automatically redirected to voice mail.
View a list of calls that have been blocked by tapping History in the Call Blocker menu.
What is Power Save?
Power Save allows you to adjust a range of settings that may reduce your device's battery consumption. Access Power Save by tapping
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Power Save. Select Activate Power Save to enable Power Save. Tap Power Save Settings to configure how your device behaves when Power Save is enabled, or alternatively use the default configuration.
What is VPN Protection?
The VPN Protection feature allows you to connect to the internet via secure AVG VPN servers, using an encrypted tunnel to protect your online activity from eavesdropping. VPN in AVG AntiVirus for Android offers:
- Protection: when many people are connected to the same public network, attackers can capture sensitive data, such as logins and passwords. The encrypted VPN connection provides effective protection against these types of attacks.
- Anonymization: with broadband connections, many people have fixed IP addresses, which can be tracked when browsing sensitive sites. With a VPN connection, the browsing session is effectively anonymized, as the IP address the remote server sees is the address of the VPN server, not the user.
- Access content around the world: when you are connected to a VPN server in another location, you gain access to content that may be restricted in your location. This allows you to browse freely, even from countries with web censorship.
What is the difference between the VPN feature in AVG AntiVirus for Android and the AVG Secure VPN app?
Both the VPN Protection feature in AVG AntiVirus for Android and the AVG Secure VPN app allow you to connect to the internet via secure AVG VPN servers, protecting your personal data, and effectively anonymizing your online activity. When you connect to our VPN servers using the VPN Protection feature in AVG AntiVirus for Android, you can choose from the same list of server locations that is available in AVG Secure VPN.
The AVG Secure VPN app contains certain advanced settings options that are not available in AVG AntiVirus for Android, including Auto Connect and Split Tunneling. For more information, refer to the following article:
How can I add the VPN feature to AVG AntiVirus for Android?
The VPN feature in AVG AntiVirus is available for Android devices with an AVG Mobile Ultimate subscription.
Can I use my subscription for AVG Secure VPN to activate the VPN feature in AVG AntiVirus for Android?
No. In this case you would continue to use AVG Secure VPN as a separate app. However, the activation code from an AVG Mobile Ultimate subscription can be used to activate either the VPN feature in AVG AntiVirus or AVG Secure VPN (for use on up to 5 Android devices simultaneously).
How do I change the notifications I see in AVG AntiVirus?
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ Notifications & alerts. Notifications and alerts are divided into the following sections:
- Realtime protection
- Permanent notification: Ensures complete protection by preventing Android stopping AVG AntiVirus from running in the background. It also ensures that App Lock works properly.
- Clipboard cleaner notification: Notifies you if you have content copied to your clipboard and offers to clear it to prevent privacy leaks.
- Sensitive app notification: Notifies you when a sensitive app is installed and prompts you to protect access to the sensitive app by using App Lock.
- App Install Shield notification: Informs you if the app you are installing or updating is safe.
- Scan complete popups: Displays a popup to inform you immediately when a scan completes and the results are ready to show.
- Low battery ping: Prompts you to turn on Last Known Location so that you can locate your phone after the battery dies, or even after your phone is turned off. Last Known Location is a setting within the Anti-Theft feature.
- Sensitive content detected: Detects when sensitive web content is displayed and recommends that you use a VPN.
- Security stats notifcation: Notifies you when monthly security statistics are available to see how you have been protected.
- Task killing notification: Notifies you about apps running in the background and offers to stop them. This is connected to the Boost RAM tile on the main app screen.
- Quick Clean: Notifies you when more than 50 MB of unnecessary files are found on your device and recommends that you clean your device.
- Wi-Fi networking
- Unknown network dialog: Offers to check security, test speed, and secure connection when connecting to an unknown network.
- Security scan: Offers to check your network for security threats.
- Speed test: Offers to check your connection speed.
- Auto-scan unknown networks: Automatically scans new Wi-Fi networks for security threats.
- Data Usage alerts
- Cycle usage reaches: Informs you when data usage reaches a percentage level that you specify.
- Cycle limit is reached: Notifies you when your data cycle limit has been reached.
- Daily limit is reached: Notifies you when your daily data limit has been reached.
- Always show data usage in notifications: Always displays data usage in notifications.
How can I disable or customize the permanent notification?
The permanent notification ensures your device's complete protection by preventing Android from stopping AVG AntiVirus processes. On devices running Android 8.0 or higher, disabling the permanent notification is not an option. However, the notification can be minimized or configured for minimal interruption via your device settings. For more information, refer to the following article:
How can I customize my protection settings?
Protection components in AVG AntiVirus monitor and scan your device to detect suspicious activity and protect you against malware and viruses.
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ Protection to access the following options:
- Scheduled scan: Allows you to set a schedule for scanning. Select a day of the week and time for the app to scan your device automatically.
- Ignored issues: Shows a list of ignored issues, if you did not fix them after a scan.
- App Install Shield: Scans apps after installation.
- File Shield: Scans your device for malicious files.
- Web Shield: Scans each URL that loads and warns you when the browser loads a malware-infected URL, while also protecting you against phishing and other malicious websites. To enable this setting, you must first grant AVG AntiVirus the Accessibility permission in your device settings.
- Deep Scan: Scans files that are stored in your internal storage. Enabling this option may prolong the scanning process.
- Low reputation apps: Scans apps then compares them to AVG user ratings, and warns you about apps with a low reputation.
- PUP detection: Marks Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) as malware and handles them accordingly.
How can I change App Lock timeout settings?
To specify when apps will be locked by the App Lock feature, go to
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ App Lock and tap App Lock timeout. The following options are available:
- Immediately: Locks an app immediately after you send it to the background.
- 10 seconds: Locks an app 10 seconds after you send it to the background.
- 30 seconds: Locks an app 30 seconds after you send it to the background.
- 1 minute: Locks an app 1 minute after you send it to the background.
- When screen turns off: Locks an app when your device screen turns off.
When this or another app managed by App Lock is launched within the selected timeout, the countdown stops and restarts. Regardless of the timeout settings, App Lock always locks your apps when your screen turns off.
When one app is unlocked, all other apps managed by App Lock are also automatically unlocked so you can access all your apps within the timeout period.
How do I verify which version of AVG AntiVirus is installed on my Android device?
- Open AVG AntiVirus and tap
☰Menu (three lines).
- Tap Settings ▸ About.
- Verify your current app version under AVG AntiVirus.
Where can I find the AVG AntiVirus Activity Log?
The Activity Log is available via
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ Activity Log.
The Activity Log allows you to see all activity performed by AVG AntiVirus for Android. This mainly includes updates and scans. You can clear the Activity Log by tapping the trash icon in the top-right corner.
How can I control which data I share with AVG and third parties?
When you use AVG AntiVirus, you share anonymous usage statistics and error reports with AVG and third parties to help improve the app. To manage your data sharing preferences, go to
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ Personal Privacy. Tap the slider next to one of the following options so that it changes to green (ON) to opt in, or gray (OFF) to opt out:
- Share threat data with AVG to improve the security of all AVG antivirus users (Community IQ).
- Share app-usage data with AVG to help us with new product development.
- Share app usage data with 3rd-party analytics tools to improve this app.
- Share app-usage data with AVG so we may offer you upgrades or other products. (In the free version of AVG AntiVirus, this option is enabled by default and does not appear)
How can I check if my virus definitions are updated?
Virus definitions are updated automatically. Go to
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ Updates to check the current virus definitions version and the date when it was installed. You can also tap Check for update to make sure that you have the latest version installed. To prevent AVG AntiVirus from updating when you are using mobile data to connect to the internet, tap the slider next to Update over Wi-Fi only so that it changes to green (ON). We do not recommend keeping this setting enabled.
How can I uninstall AVG AntiVirus from Android?
To fully uninstall AVG AntiVirus from Android:
- Open your device Settings, search for
Device Admin, and open Device admin apps.
- Deactivate the Device Admin permission for AVG AntiVirus.
- Open your device Settings and go to Apps.
- Select AVG AntiVirus, then tap Force Stop from the App info screen.
- Tap Storage, then tap Clear data and Clear cache.
- Tap the back arrow to return to the App info screen, then select Uninstall.
For detailed uninstallation instructions, refer to the following article:
How can I disable third-party ads in AVG AntiVirus for Android?
To support the ongoing development of AVG AntiVirus, the free version of the app includes third-party ads that do not interfere with app usage. Paid versions of AVG AntiVirus are ad-free and include a range of additional premium features and benefits. Purchase a paid version of AVG AntiVirus by tapping Upgrade in the top-right corner of the main app screen.
Alternatively, you can purchase an Ad Free subscription. This option removes third-party ads from AVG AntiVirus, but does not include any additional premium features and benefits. An Ad Free subscription is only available after you have used the Free version of AVG AntiVirus for approximately 40-50 days. When this subscription option is available, the 'Remove ads' panel appears on the main app screen. To purchase an Ad Free subscription, tap the gray (OFF) slider next to Remove ads and follow the on-screen instructions.
What should I do if the Accessibility permission is disabled repeatedly?
To improve performance, some Android devices force apps to stop when your device screen turns off. This often causes apps with the Accessibility permission to lose this permission.
To re-enable the Accessibility permission, open your device settings, search for
Accessibility, then grant this permission to AVG AntiVirus.
We recommend changing your system settings to prevent AVG AntiVirus from losing the permission. For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
How can I reset the PIN for App Lock?
If you forget your App Lock PIN, reset it by following these steps:
- Go to
☰Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ PIN & pattern ▸ Change PIN.
⋮More options (three dots) in the top-right corner and select Reset PIN.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reset the PIN using your Google Account credentials.
What should I do if AVG AntiVirus crashes or stops running?
Try one of the following options:
- Fully uninstall and then reinstall AVG AntiVirus.
- Report the issue to AVG Support so that our support agents can perform a deeper analysis of the issue.
- Join the AVG beta program to test the latest versions of AVG Android apps before public release. This means that you receive app updates and bug fixes earlier.
- If you are running Android 7.9 or lower, ensure that permanent notification is enabled. If it is disabled, Android may kill the AVG AntiVirus process and stop the app. On Android 8 and higher it is not possible to disable the permanent notification.
What can I do when AVG AntiVirus for Android cannot remove malware?
In rare cases, AVG AntiVirus detects malware but cannot uninstall it. This is usually caused by the level of permissions granted to the suspicious app, or by the app being installed as a system app. For more information, refer to the following article:
How can I report a false positive detection to AVG Threat Labs?
In rare cases, AVG AntiVirus may detect and mark a clean file as malware. You can report false detections to AVG Threat Labs directly from the scan results screen:
⋮More options (three dots) next to the detected file that you want to report.
- Select the Report as false positive option.
- Type a description of the issue and enter your email address (if you want to be notified when the file analysis is finished).
- Tap Send.
How can I disable sound alerts for background notifications from AVG AntiVirus?
On certain Honor or Huawei devices, a sound plays each time you receive a notification from AVG AntiVirus. To prevent this, follow the steps below on your Honor or Huawei device:
- Open your device Settings and go to Apps & notifications.
- Select Notifications management.
- Tap AVG AntiVirus for Android, then select Background services.
- Tap the blue (ON) slider next to Ringtone, so it changes to gray (OFF).
A sound no longer plays each time you receive a notification from AVG AntiVirus.
Why does AVG AntiVirus need so many permissions?
AVG AntiVirus for Android requires many permissions that may initially seem unnecessary. This is because permission classifications in Android are assigned a name based on the most common use case, but does not describe all the kinds of processes that require the permission. For example, the full internet access permission is required to receive updates to malware definitions, and Scan and Web Shield need permission to read phone data so the data can be scanned for threats.
We take your privacy very seriously. The permissions requested are the minimum set that are needed to implement the functionality of AVG AntiVirus for Android. For more information, refer to the following article:
How can I report an issue to AVG Support?
We offer many self-help articles on the AVG Support pages. However, some issues may require deeper investigation by AVG Support.
Report any issues to our support team using the instructions in the following article:
- AVG AntiVirus 6.x for Android
- Google Android 6.0 (Marshmallow, API 23) or later