In some cases, AVG AntiVirus for Android detects malware but cannot uninstall it. This is usually because the suspicious app was installed with Device admin permissions, or because it was installed as a System app (for example on rooted devices).
Refer to the sections below to resolve a malware removal issue on Android:
How can I resolve a malware removal issue?
To determine why you cannot uninstall a suspicious app, refer to instructions in the sections below:
1) Check if the app is installed as a System app
When an app is installed as a System app (for example by one of the previous device users or sellers), it cannot be accessed and uninstalled by you or by an antivirus app.
We recommend first trying to disable the app:
- Open your device Settings and go to Apps.
- If it is visible, tap the suspicious app.
- Tap Disable to stop the app from running.
2) Check if the app has the Device admin permission
If an app received the Device admin permission during installation, this permission must be removed before you can uninstall the app:
- Open your device Settings and search for Device admin.
- Select Device admin apps.
- Deactivate the Device admin permission for the suspicious app, if it appears on your list of Device admin apps.
After deactivating the Device admin permission, you can uninstall the suspicious app via Google Play Store, or the Apps section in your device settings.
3) Further recommendations
If you bought a used Android device, contact the previous owner or seller and explain the issue. It is possible that malware was installed before you started using the device.
If you bought your device from an official reseller, contact the device manufacturer and explain your issue.
How can I prevent malware infection?
To keep your device free of malware, we recommend the following:
- Always buy your mobile device from a trusted seller.
- Ensure your Android system is always up-to-date.
- Use an antivirus or security app to protect your device.
- Avoid installing apps from unknown sources.
- Check an app's permissions before installation.
- Do not change default system settings if you do know their purpose.
- Be careful while transferring files.
- Do not open attachments and links from suspicious or anonymous senders before a security check.
How can I contact AVG Support to report a malware removal issue?
For detailed instructions to contact AVG Support via the AVG AntiVirus for Android app, refer to the following article:
- AVG AntiVirus 6.x for Android
- Google Android 5.0 (Lollipop, API 21) or higher, exact version depends on the product