You can prevent DNS leaks by disabling the 'smart multi-homed name resolution' policy setting on Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 / 8. This setting is enabled by default and is intended to optimize DNS queries and improve performance. However, when enabled, it also leaves you vulnerable to DNS hijacking and DNS leaks. These leaks can result in web activity monitoring, even when you are using a VPN.
To disable the 'smart multi-homed name resolution' service, refer to the relevant instructions below.
- AVG Secure VPN 1.x for Windows
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1 with Convenient Rollup Update, 32 / 64-bit