AVG Secure VPN allows you to disguise your location by hiding your real IP address. This helps prevent websites and servers from tracking your real location. If you want to check that your real location is hidden when using AVG Secure VPN, follow the instructions in this article.
Check your IP address
After connecting to AVG Secure VPN, your virtual IP address is displayed on the main application screen. To verify if your IP address and location has changed, follow the instructions below.
Disable location services
Some websites and servers use geolocation tracking to discover your real location, even when you are using a VPN. To stop this from happening, you may need to disable location services on your device to ensure your real location remains hidden when using a VPN.
Use incognito/private browsing mode
Most web browsers have an incognito/private browsing mode that allows you to surf the web without leaving any traces on your device, such as cookies, temporary internet files (cache), or browsing history that can be used to track your real location. In most cases, using incognito/private browsing mode will resolve any remaining location tracking issues.
Open your preferred browser, then follow the relevant steps below:
- Google Chrome: Go to
⋮Menu (three dots) ▸ New Incognito window.
- Mozilla Firefox: Go to
☰Menu (three lines) ▸ New Private Window.
- Microsoft Edge: Go to
…Menu (three dots) ▸ New InPrivate window.
- Opera: Go to Menu (the Opera icon) ▸ New private window.
- Safari: Ensure that the Safari window is open and active, then click File ▸ New Private Window in the Apple menu bar.
- AVG Secure Browser: Go to
⋮Menu (three dots) ▸ New Private Mode Window.
Change your browser location settings
Clean your cache and cookies
Clear Java & Flash cache
Java & Flash cache are stored separately. Clearing the Java Plug-in cache and the Adobe Flash cache forces your browser to load the latest versions of webpages and programs, which ensures that all traces of your real location are removed.
- AVG Secure VPN 1.x for Windows
- AVG Secure VPN 1.x for Mac
- Microsoft Windows 11 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1 with Convenient Rollup Update, 32 / 64-bit
- Apple macOS 11.x (Big Sur)
- Apple macOS 10.15.x (Catalina)
- Apple macOS 10.14.x (Mojave)
- Apple macOS 10.13.x (High Sierra)
- Apple macOS 10.12.x (Sierra)