By default, you must actively authorize installation or reinstallation of any software on your Windows PC. This prevents viruses, malware, or unauthorized individuals from stealthily installing unwanted software without your consent. Before installing AVG software, we recommend signing in to Windows as a user with administrative privileges to make authorization as simple as possible.
Refer to the sections in this article to check which existing user accounts on your PC have administrative privileges, before signing into an administrative account and installing your AVG product. This article also contains troubleshooting steps if you do not have access to an administrative account.
Verify your administrative accounts
Install your AVG product
- Download the setup file for your AVG product using the relevant link below (by default, downloaded files are saved to your Downloads folder):
- Right-click the downloaded
AVG_(...)_setup_(...).exesetup file and select Run as administrator.
- Refer to the relevant step below to authorize installation:
- If you are signed in to Windows as a user with administrative privileges, click Yes when prompted for permission by the User Account Control dialog.
- If you are not signed in to Windows as a user with administrative privileges, enter an administrative account password into the User Account Control dialog and click Yes to authorize the installation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete installation of your AVG product. For detailed installation instructions, refer to the relevant article below:
Refer to the relevant section(s) below for advice if you cannot access an administrative account:
Use an alternative administrative account
You may be able to authorize installation of AVG software by entering credentials for an alternative user account with administrative privileges. When the User Account Control dialog appears, click More choices to see a list of administrative accounts on your PC and select an alternative account. If you only have 1 account with administrative privileges, the 'More choices' option does not appear.
Reset your administrative account password
In some cases, you may be able to reset the password for your administrative account. For more information, refer to the relevant article below from Microsoft support according to your operating system:
If neither of the solutions above resolve your issue, contact your device manufacturer.
- All AVG consumer products for Windows
- All supported operating systems