What is AVG Password Protection?
AVG Password Protection offers an additional security layer for your Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browser by protecting your sensitive login data, notifying you about password leaks, and advising you about the security level of passwords stored in your browser.
How do I use AVG Password Protection?
For detailed instructions to start using AVG Password Protection, refer to the following article:
Installation and activation
What are the system requirements for AVG Password Protection?
- AVG Internet Security or AVG AntiVirus FREE must be installed on your PC.
- You can use AVG Password Protection on the following systems:
- Microsoft Windows 10 (any Edition except RT or Starter, 32-bit or 64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows 8 / 8.1 (any Edition except RT or Starter, 32-bit or 64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 2 or higher (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
- Google Chrome and / or Mozilla Firefox must be installed on your PC.
Is AVG Password Protection included with AVG Internet Security?
No. AVG Password Protection is a separate product that requires a separate subscription to use.
How can I activate AVG Password Protection?
AVG Password Protection is activated automatically when you activate AVG Internet Security. If you need to activate AVG Password Protection separately, or you experience activation issues, refer to the following article for instructions:
Features and usage
How do I open AVG Password Protection?
After activating AVG Password Protection, you can access the application using one of the methods below:
- Double-click the AVG Password Protection icon on your Windows desktop.
- Open the AVG user interface and go to
☰Menu ▸ Password Protection.
For more information about using AVG Password Protection, refer to the following article:
What features does AVG Password Protection include?
AVG Password Protection includes the following features to help you protect your passwords:
- Online Accounts Protection: Warns you if passwords stored in your web browser have been leaked, then helps you easily change the leaked passwords.
- Password Protection: Protects passwords stored in your web browser from unauthorized access.
- Weak Password Scan: Scans for weak passwords stored in your web browser, then helps you change them.
- Duplicate Passwords: Scans your browser for any passwords that are used to access multiple accounts, then helps you easily change any duplicated passwords.
How can I create safe passwords for my online accounts?
A safe password meets the following requirements:
- Includes at least 10 characters
- Includes lowercase and uppercase letters
- Includes at least 1 number and at least 1 special symbol (for example ! or *)
- Is used to access 1 account only
How can I configure AVG Password Protection to automatically block or allow certain apps?
- Open AVG Password Protection and go to Menu ▸ Settings.
- Select Browser Passwords in the left panel.
- Click Block An App or Allow An App, navigate to the app's location, then click Open.
Your chosen app immediately appears on either the Blocked Apps or Allowed Apps list. Remove an app from either list by hovering your cursor over the app's panel and selecting the X icon that appears.
Which browsers does AVG Password Protection support?
AVG Password Protection can only scan passwords stored in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
How can I change my selected browser?
AVG Password Protection can only protect one browser at a time. When you click Scan For Weaknesses, AVG scans the browser currently marked as your Selected browser in the bottom-right corner of the main application screen. To change your selected browser:
- Open AVG Password Protection.
- Go to Menu ▸ Settings.
- Ensure Selected browser is selected in the left panel, then use the drop-down menu to choose an alternative browser.
- AVG Password Protection 20.x for Windows
- AVG Internet Security 20.x for Windows
- AVG AntiVirus FREE 20.x for Windows
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 2, 32 / 64-bit