Refer to the information in the sections below to manage Email Shield settings in the latest version of AVG Internet Security and AVG AntiVirus FREE.
Disable the AVG signature
If you use an email client (such as Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird), AVG may include a clean message (previously an email signature) at the bottom of your outgoing emails to let your recipients know that the email has been scanned for malware. This setting is enabled by default.
- Open the AVG user interface and go to Menu ▸ Settings.
- Select Basic protection from the left panel, then click Email Shield.
- Untick the box next to Add a signature to the end of sent emails.
Your outgoing emails will no longer include a signature from AVG. You can re-enable this setting at any time.
Customize Email Shield settings
Email Shield scans for threats in your incoming and outgoing email messages.
Scanning applies only to messages sent or received using mail management software, such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird.
To modify your Email Shield settings, open the AVG user interface, then go to Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Basic protection ▸ Email Shield. You can configure the following settings:
- Enable Email Shield: Click the slider so it is green (ON) to enable the shield or red (OFF) to disable the shield.
- Scan inbound emails (POP3, IMAP4): Specify if Email Shield scans all incoming emails sent using an SSL/TLS encrypted connection.
- Scan outbound emails (SMTP): Specify if Email Shield scans all outbound emails sent using an SSL/TLS encrypted connection.
- Add a signature to the end of sent emails: includes a message for the recipient in an outgoing email confirming the email has been scanned for malware and is clean.
- Mark in subject of mail containing a virus: Specify a specific word or phrase that will automatically be added to the subject of any email containing a virus.
- Scan attachment when attaching (Microsoft Outlook only): Enable Email Shield to scan outgoing email attachments sent with Microsoft Outlook.
- AVG Internet Security 22.x
- AVG AntiVirus FREE 22.x
- Microsoft Windows 11 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1 with Convenient Rollup Update, 32 / 64-bit